QuickBooks is a worldwide popular software for accounting. It is developed by Intuit. QuickBooks company file can sometimes be corrupted. The users should be aware of this and know how to fix this. I will discuss about the process of QuickBooks repair in this article.
Identifying Corruption in QuickBooks Company File
Sometimes, you may have difficulties detecting QuickBooks company file corruption. But, if you know the following things, you can find it easily.
- You may see some errors. Example: “A data problem prevents QuickBooks from continuing” in the ”Verify data utility”. Another can be “Verify target: Values in minor do not match major” on your screen or in the Qbwin.log file.
- QuickBooks may shut down suddenly while trying to save or delete a transaction.
- It may provide faulty reports.
- Transactions and entries may be missing from lists.
- Account names may be preceded by an asterisk (*). This is created by QuickBooks, because the original accounts are missing.
- QuickBooks may run slow. Therefore, operations take longer than usual.
- Paid bills and invoices may show as unpaid.
- Transaction history may show there is negative balance remaining.
- You may see HTML code in the window, if you open the Send Feedback Online>Bug Report window.
Preventing QuickBooks Company File Corruption
You cannot be absolutely sure that your company file will not be corrupted. But, you can minimize the risk by following these steps.
- The best idea is to back up the file. You should do it multiple times, at different physical location. You should also make it a regular routine. This way, you can be sure that you always have complete backup.
- You can also back up the files online. This ill eliminate the threats to physical backup.
- You should be aware of the size of the QuickBooks database file. You can use third party tools to reduce its size, if it is on the verge of crossing its healthy limit.
- In addition, try to avoid other reasons that cause corruption.
Process of QuickBooks Repair
You can perform QuickBooks repair in a few ways.
In this method, you have to use the Verify and Rebuild data utility.
- You need to open the data file and log-in as an administrator.
- Then, select the Single User Mode and initiate data verification. For this, click File> Utilities> Verify Data.
This process may take time depending on the file size. You need to do a complete rebuild, if the process takes too long or does not complete.
The Rebuild process:
- First, make a local copy of the data fie from the server.
- If it is required, enable temporary hosting on the machine where it is copied. Then, open the file and log-in as an administrator.
- Click Files> Utilities> Rebuild Data.
Complete rebuild may take a long time. You should not interrupt the process until it finishes.
There are also some free tools that you can use to repair corrupted files. Some of these are:
- QuickBooks Install diagnostic Tool.
- QuickBooks Component Repair Tool.
- QuickBooks File Doctor.
QuickBooks repair is an easy process. You should be aware of the signs. Then, if t is needed, you can run the repair process without any complication.